Monday, August 15, 2011

I am a teacher at heart..

I never thought that I would be begging for a teaching position, but doing so has really shown me how much teaching children means to me.  Every time I prepare for an interview or email another principal I write these paragraphs or say these things that I've learned through various professional training sessions or in my Master's courses.  It feels strange to "toot my own horn" but I know that I'm a good teacher.  95% of my students met or exceeded the standards on the end of the year test during my very first year.  Since then  my scores have remained high and that can only be for a few reasons: 

  1. my students are willing to work hard and do their best to meet their parents', their own, and their teacher's high expectations
  2. my Masters in Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment has really helped me prepare lessons and activities that are interesting and valid for the standards
  3. my classroom management skills are such that my students develop intrinsic motivation and want to succeed on their own, not just to make me or their parents happy
I was so sad not to have started the school year with everyone.  It's almost like I'm not part of the community yet.  I love teaching and would love to be preparing my classroom and planning lessons right now...

No comments:

Post a Comment